Saturday, 8 September 2007

Chapter 9 Reverse Appliqué

Just finished my last samples for Chapter9 Reverse Appliqué - Traditional and Contemporary Methods.

TRADITIONAL METHOD - using hand stitching

This first sample is similar to the technique used by the native people of the Sans Blas Islands off Panama called MOLAS.

First I made a paper design then translated it in to fabric. You'll notice the fabric design is different to the paper one I felt it worked better rotated.


Paper design


Fabric sample - hand stitching

CONTEMPORARY METHODS - using machine stitching


Sample 1
4 layers of fabric stitched from back and each layer cut back

Sample 2
5 layers of fabric with 2 rows of close stitching
- slashed in between and edges frayed to distress them

Sample 3
a more complex design to give a ripple effect
- some layers of fabric didn't extend over the whole design
so there are different colours in different parts.

Sample 4
the last sample was a bit on the small side so I made this sample larger
- it's the same design and technique but in different colours.

All samples are 5 inch square except Sample 4 which is 6 inch square.

5 comments:

Papoosue said...

I love your samples Susan. I love Mola too. I did a small sample when I did the C&G Patchwork and Quilting years ago and loved it.

Vivien said...

Your new samples are so nice! I really like #2 & #4.
All the best from hot and sticky Texas! - Vivien

Jorja's Nanna said...

Hi Susan,
Thanks for visiting my blog. You are right, there is a lot of building work going on in Liverpool. I would never not recognise it though! I'll be back again next year for the Capital of Culture, then hopefully I'll be able to see the results of all the hard work which is going on now.
I enjoyed looking at your reverse applique. My sister-in-law in South Africa does beautiful reverse applique all by hand.

lelieve said...

i really love your samples!

Purple Missus said...

These samples are wonderful Susan. I love the way you have put the colours together.