Saturday, 9 August 2008

Chapter 6 - Patterning of Fabrics using cold Water Dyes and Fabric Paints

You would think in a large city like Liverpool that I would have been able to buy some fabrics with black and white prints wouldn't you - but I haven't so I've had to make do with fabrics I've dyed or monoprinted.

The first 3 are done with stamps I made by sticking pieces of Funky foam on to another piece of foam and stamping with fabric paints.


White on Black cotton


Black on White cotton


White on Black cotton

The next 5 are 'mono prints' again using fabric paints.




Black on White cotton


White on Black cotton


Black painted on with kebab stick

The next samples are my first attempt at 'Shibori'. I used Dylon cold water dye in black but I don't know what went wrong - too much water or not enough dye for the weight of fabric.



Pleated cotton fabric then folded



Rolled up on diagonal round tube then,
elastic band at one end then scrunched down tube



Scrunched into ball and held together with elastic band


Elastic band round fabric


Composite sheet of Fabric samples

No comments: