After using normal stitching I had to go on to 'whip' stitch on the next samples. I've done it the best I can on my sewing machine. It has a bobbin that drops in the top not like my old machine where it went in a case before being put in the machine. That meant I couldn't alter the tension on the bobbin so I had to do the best I could by altering the tension on the top stitch and reducing the pressure on the foot. I also had to stitch from the wrong side so didn't know if it was correct until I'd finished and had a look.
Sample A not a very good example, bit too loose
Sample B getting better
All the following samples have a thicker thread wound on to the bobbin.
Sample A Cross Stitch with black and white threads on 12 count Aida
The next samples are Tone using 'Blackwork'.
Firstly I had to use graph paper to draw a pattern where as you added another stitch to each row you would get a darker tone by the time you got to the end. I got a bit carried away and ended up doing 3 samples, B, C and D.
Next I had to vary the spacing between each row. I used a cross pattern and gradually increased the space between each row and each cross as I got further down the sample.
Lastly I had to do a sample where various thickness of thread where used to obtain the tone, I also increased the space in between each row as I went.