I had this idea from the start of this module so I made a paper mock up to start with to see if it would work before I went any further.
Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of the next stage but I made a template to cut a piece of buckram the shape I wanted. I rolled a piece of card in to a cone shape covered it with cling film then wet the buckram and wound it round the mold.
Once the buckram dried I removed it re-cut the ends to a more suitable shape and sewed millinery wire to the edge to stabilize it.
Next I covered the 'fascinator' with a lining of scrim.
I used some scrim I dyed in one of my chosen colours for the final layer. I decided to fray the edges at the top.
After a few false starts I finally used a machine made cord to couch a spiral decoration.
Buttons for decoration.
1.5 inch curtain ring covered with decorated fabric.
Dorset button made from 1 inch curtain ring.
Dorset button attached to fabric button.
Buttons attached to 'fascinator'.
1 month ago